The priest at the service on 27th May at St James’ at 10am will be the Archdeacon of Wiltshire, the Venerable Dr Sue Groom. There will be coffee after the service so do come along and meet her, everyone welcome.
The licensing of the new rector Matthew Earwicker will take place at Heddington church at
7pm on Monday June 25th
followed by refreshments at Heddington Village Hall. Everyone is welcome to this special service- come and meet Matthew who will be working with us for many years we hope! There will be a reminder nearer the time on the Cherhill group Facebook page.
ST. JAMES so called in 1405, consists of a chancel and nave with south aisle, south porch, west tower, and north vestry. The chancel and nave was probably built in the 12th century. The aisle, with an arcade of three four-centred arches and octagonal piers, and the tower, were built in the late 15th or early 16th century. A Gothic west gallery was built in 1840. The church was restored in 1863 to designs by S. B. Gabriel.
The church has three bells one cast at Bristol c. 1450, The treble was replaced in 1619 by a bell cast by Richard or Roger Purdue, the tenor in 1641 by a bell cast at Warminster by John Lott and recast at Whitechapel in 1987.
In 1973 the rectory was united to other benefices to form Oldbury benefice, comprising Yatesbury, Compton Bassett, Heddington, Calstone Wellington and Cherhill.
You can read more about St James Church HERE