Local Landmarks

Cherhill Monument

The monument stands in the south west corner of Oldbury Camp and can be seen for many miles around.  Originally bearing no inscriptions the monument caused some confusion.  Some supposed it to mark the limits of Bowood estate, others to commemorate the birth of King Edward VII.  It was in fact built in 1845 by Lord Lansdowne in memory of his ancestor, Sir William Petty and now bears an inscription to that effect.It is 125ft. high and built of freestone corner-stones filled in with Atworth stones and cost £1,359.  In 1915 it was repaired for the first time.

The Monument is currently awaiting restoration

Cherhill White Horse

The White Horse was carved in 1780 by Dr Christopher Alsop. It obviously took great ingenuity to carry out this task.  It is said that he took up a position 100yds south of Main Road opposite the lower farm and gave instructions to the workers by shouting through a large trumpet.  These two points are at least 1 1/4 miles apart so it is unlikely that voice communications were used, it is more likely that flags were used.  He could have used his trumpet from a point about 1/2 mile west of the horse from where it can be seen almost perfectly. More information here

Oldbury Fort

This is one of the finest earth fortifications in Wiltshire. It was originally a British camp although much strengthened by those who subsequently occupied it. Its situation towards the north east is fortified by deep ravines and very indented ground. The principle entrance is thought to have been from the south-east, by an outwork that is still visible. The camp is doubly ditched and contains 25 acres. The circumference of the rampart is 1276 yards or approximately 1167m and the height 50ft or approximately 15m. A bank and ditch intersect the area. The camp appears to have been made use of as a place of residence as well as of defence. The labourers digging for flints within its area threw up numerous fragments of animal bones and rude pottery – the certain marks of habitation.